The Case for Quality Products
The off-grid solar energy market is characterized by products with varying levels of quality and durability. Some are designed and manufactured well, while others fall short of expectations for safety, durability, and performance. By focusing on quality, purchasers, program administrators, investors, government officials, and other procurers of solar energy systems can help build a competitive global market where high-performing products are the default option.
Lighting Global developed the quality standards and verification process that set the internationally-recognized baseline for off-grid product quality and integrity. The Lighting Global Quality Standards for pico-PV products and solar home system kits, now referenced in IEC TS 62257-9-8, define minimum requirements for quality, durability, and truth in advertising to protect consumers. The quality verification process, now managed by VeraSol, confirms whether a product meets the Lighting Global Quality Standards or quality standards in IEC TS 62257-9-8.
By making the choice to select or prioritize products certified by VeraSol to the Lighting Global Quality Standards or IEC TS 62257-9-8, you can:
- Increase the impact and cost-effectiveness of market development programs by aligning with widely recognized international standards. The quality standards in IEC TS 62257-9-8 are built upon widely-accepted IEC test methods and backed by a global network of labs capable of testing to these methods.
- Be confident that products will perform as advertised and meet consumers’ expectations for performance, durability, and safety. All products certified to IEC TS 62257-9-8 have been rigorously tested and evaluated against a set of quality standards and must include a consumer-facing warranty. VeraSol’s additional market check testing conducted helps ensure that products on the market continue to meet the standards.
- Reduce the risk of consumer dissatisfaction and the cost of providing warranty service. Certified products must meet minimum requirements for quality, durability, and truth-in-advertising, reducing confusion and increasing the chance that consumers will have a positive experience with their product.
- Facilitate the due diligence process by quickly and easily identifying suppliers of high-quality products. There are more than 150 certified products currently listed on the VeraSol Product Database. This updated tool makes it easy to compare products side-by-side.
- Reduce the risk of products being delayed at the port of entry due to challenges demonstrating compliance with national standards. Certified products receive a verification letter that can be used to help demonstrate compliance with IEC TS 62257-9-8 and facilitate importation into certain countries.