Lighting Global has released the 3rd iteration and the 2021 version of the Pay-As-You-Go Market Attractiveness Index (PAYGo MAI) for 24 countries across Sub Saharan Africa and Asia. This version includes details of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on new PAYGo sales and repayments.
The PAYGo MAI provides businesses, policymakers, and practitioners with a flexible and accessible tool that can be used to assess the profitability of a national market for PAYGO energy services. The tool provides a structure for decision-making criteria for use on:
• Entry into a new market;
• Deepening market penetration;
• Favorable conditions and challenges in each market by comparison;
• Over 67 indicators of market attractiveness, organised under three main pillars – demand, supply and enabling environment and other aspects of market attractiveness (such as the size of population not connected to reliable electricity and policy incentives for renewable energy); and
• Additional quantitative and qualitative market research.
PAYGo MAI features include a detailed report, a technical user guide, and an enhanced Excel-based tool that surveys a total of 24 countries: Angola, Cameroon, Congo, Dem. Rep., Cote d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Guinea, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Myanmar, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
What’s new in 2021?
The 2021 PAYGo MAI builds on the 2019 and 2018 editions of the index and incorporates a few changes. More detail on these changes is provided in the technical appendices to this report:
- Since the publication of the 2019 index, most data have become available and are updated in this year’s version;
- Data sources for some indicators (such as ability and willingness to pay) have been updated to reflect changes to measurement methods or source data.
- Four indicators in the enabling environment pillar have been merged with other indicators to reflect changes to the survey questions in the underlying data.
For further information and to send us your feedback on this tool, please answer a 3-minute survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PAYGoMAI2021
Resource Type: Market Analysis Reports