July – December 2019
Every six months, GOGLA and Lighting Global publish the Global Off-Grid Solar Market Report, a market intelligence series on sales and impact of off-grid solar lighting products, sold by GOGLA and Lighting Global affiliates. The trends and sales figures included in this report refer to the period July-December 2019, and were recorded prior to the outbreak of COVID-19.
- This report highlights how the off-grid solar industry is currently providing energy to over 100 million people around the world, with sales of 4.4 million off-grid solar lighting products and 460,000 appliances in the last six months of 2019 alone. It is a timely reminder that our affiliates are playing a critical role in providing homes and businesses with essential energy services. These services will be even more vital as we respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 2019 was a record-breaking year for our sector. 8.5 million off-grid solar lighting products and 1.2 million appliances were sold throughout the year.
- Pay-as-you-go sales increased again to 1.19m from July to December 2019 (up 19% from the previous six months). In terms of volumes, the lighting market, continues to be largely driven by cash sales.
- The most popular appliance sold by affiliates are TVs.
- For the first time, we are able to offer regional insights on the impact of off-grid solar lighting products. From the 106 million people globally that are currently benefiting from improved energy access thanks to off-grid solar, more than a third lives in East Africa (37%).
For more details, register for our webinar on Tue, 19 May, 2pm CEST to hear more about the data from the content team.
Download previous sales and impact data reports: H1 2019 | H2 2018 | H1 2018 | H2 2017 | H1 2017 | H2 2016 | H1 2016 | H2 2015.Participating companies can access the online data platform at data.gogla.org.
Resource Type: GOGLA Sales Reports
Country: Africa, Asia, Bangladesh, Global, India, Kenya, Pakistan