Communications & Client Engagement Consultant
Job Title: Short Term Consultant for Lighting Global (75 Days)
Location: Shenzhen, China
Department: Lighting Global, IFC Energy Access Advisory
Lighting Global is the World Bank Group’s platform to support sustainable growth of the international off-grid solar market as a means of rapidly increasing energy access to the 840 million people without access to electricity. Through Lighting Global, the International Finance Corporation (IFC) and the World Bank work with manufacturers, distributors, and other development partners to develop the modern off-grid energy market. The Lighting Global program supports market development by working with private companies to lower first-mover risk and mobilize private sector investment through market intelligence, quality assurance, business support services and consumer education. Read more about our program here: www.lightingglobal.org/about
In 2016, Lighting Global began working in China with the intention of increasing awareness of Lighting Global Quality Verification and methodology and benefits of testing. Our work in China provides opportunities for quality producers of off-grid energy products to increase sales through market intelligence, business support, networking, and strategic guidance.
General Description of the Role
Lighting Global II is offering a short-term consultancy (STC) position based out of Shenzhen for an experienced Chinese communications specialist to advise and implement outreach activities to increase awareness of the Lighting Global program offerings and Quality Verified products for Chinese-made products.
The consultant should have strong marketing, communications, operational, and administrative support experience to support our outreach activities in China. S/he will also provide occasional assistance to other Lighting Global or IFC teams where specifically required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Development and execution of the China communications engagement strategy for Lighting Global. This includes:
- engaging target audiences,
- developing key messaging,
- adhering to IFC and Lighting Global branding,
- promoting Lighting Global milestones/successes,
- maintaining a timeline for implementation, and
- mapping stakeholders (e.g. companies versus standards setting bodies).
- Developing relevant social media and web content for Lighting Global Chinese platforms, including interaction with online audiences;
- Proactive and reactive media management of Lighting Global social media presence on relevant social media platforms (i.e. WeChat, Baidoo, etc. )
- Monitoring Chinese-language media for references to Lighting Global, leadership and related programs, leveraging mentions internally and externally.
- Preparing presentations as requested (both in English and Mandarin);
- Managing events in and around China for engagement with relevant stakeholders. (i.e. event logistics, calendar coordination, presentation materials, publication development, booth management, speaker coordination, or any other event management activities that may arise);
- Preparing and managing communication materials in Mandarin, includes but not limited to translation, publication, dissemination, print/distribution, etc., as agreed upon with the Lighting Global communications lead;
- Preparing and updating the Mandarin web presence on both the Lighting Global website and other relevant web platforms;
- Managing Chinese digital engagement for Lighting Global including e-mail list management, content authorship, and social media activities.
- Serve as China-marketing expert to the Lighting Global team, which entails:
- Ensuring that ALL external communication materials, media platforms used (mainstream as well as social media) are approved by and aligned with IFC Corporate guidelines and have been appropriately approved for dissemination;
- Maintain, research, and compile list of Chinese companies working in the photovoltaic industry relevant to Lighting Global;
- Developing lists of relevant business development opportunities to share with relevant audiences;
- Providing high-level analysis from the data/insights gathered in China and present to the Lighting Global Team this in excel or power point presentations on a regular basis;
- Reading and summarizing assigned impact evaluation articles, working papers or reports (in Mandarin and English).
- Managing Conference and Report Promotion
- Promote the 2020 Global Off-grid Solar Forum and Expo and the Lighting Global published research in Chinese to Chinese stakeholders and where appropriate re-package (take relevant excerpts to promote if not fully translated). The upcoming 2020 Off-Grid Solar Market Trends Report will be released at the Off-Grid Solar Forum and Expo in Nairobi. Work with the Lighting Global (World Bank or IFC) Communications lead on the dissemination plan for this report, which will need a pre-planned strategic communications, outreach and media plan to keep audiences engaged and informed about the sector and our work;
- Updates of and to the off-grid solar sector and other Lighting Global workstreams may merit a China communications strategy on a case to case basis (e.g. Path to Profitability, which may work with Chinese entrepreneurs) may merit communications, marketing and outreach support for China and in China to Chinese audiences.
- Support to Financial Institutions Group (FIG)
- It is possible that the Consultant will be required to work on specific China/Chinese-language work for the IFC Financial Institutions Group on a case by case basis.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s degree (or pursuing) in business and/or finance or related field preferred;
- Knowledge of spoken and written Mandarin language (required)
- Fluency in written and spoken English with analytical writing skills in English (required);
- BA or BS plus at least 5 years of relevant work experience communications, or media relations specifically in the private sector, a large institutional environment and/or multilateral institution focused on international development, energy access or related topics.
- Superior verbal, writing, and analytical skills. Able to produce written materials and content relatively quickly while coordinating with communication counterparts in Lighting Global
- Ability to think strategically, capitalizing on moments of opportunity throughout the year to showcase, promote and highlight the work of Lighting Global nationally and internationally.
- Strong understanding of the role of digital engagement in promoting the work of Lighting Global with respect to online publishing, content partners, newsletter creation, blogger/media outreach and other activities. Experience working on different IT systems and an affinity for technology; familiarity with WeChat and related Chinese platforms required;
- Solid understanding of how communications work is best evaluated and measured in terms of effectiveness and implementing timely reviews of the strategy to course-correct as needed.
- Excellent computer skills and proven ability to use standard technology packages: Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Intermediate graphic design skills and proficiency in Adobe Photoshop or similar software desired.
- Ability to thrive under pressure and function effectively under tight deadlines, while managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability and willingness to travel to country programs as necessary.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and project management skills. Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Proven ability to work in an international environment;
- Graphic and web design skills a plus but not mandatory;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with internal/external clients and promote collaboration in a multi-cultural environment.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references to email@example.com with the subject line ‘LGII China Marketing’