Lighting Global maintains Quality Standards that set a baseline level of quality, durability, and truth in advertising to protect consumers. Meeting the Standards is a requirement for participation in Lighting Global support programs.
Conformance with the Quality Standards is evaluated based on results from laboratory testing according to the Quality Test Method (QTM) as defined by IEC/TS 62257-9-5. The tests are conducted at an approved, third-party test center using randomly-procured samples. To receive a Lighting Global Standardized Specifications Sheet and Verification Letter, a product must meet the Quality Standards in an initial round of tests. We may follow up with Market Check Testing to ensure that products on the market continue to meet the Standards; if the product fails this testing, its verification materials are withdrawn from the website.
Lighting Global has now expanded to cover two ranges of products with two different sets of Quality Standards:
Pico-PV Quality Standards (available in Chinese (中文版), and French (français))
Lighting Global maintains the Quality Standards for pico-PV off-grid lighting products. These may be used for products with peak power rating of 10 W or less.
SHS Kits Quality Standards (available in Chinese 中文版 and French (français))
Lighting Global now supports Solar Home System Kits. These are appropriate for products with peak power ratings greater than 10 W up to 350 W.
The standards are routinely updated to reflect changes in the market (see Change Log for Quality Standards), but always address the same core aspects:
- Truth in Advertising: Advertising and marketing materials accurately reflect tested product performance.
- Durability: Product is appropriately protected from water exposure and physical ingress, has durable switches and connectors and, if portable, survives being dropped.
- System Quality: Product passes a visual wiring and assembly inspection.
- Lumen Maintenance: Product maintains consistent light output after 2,000 hours of operation.
- Warranty: A consumer-facing warranty is available; the required warranty duration varies by product type.
The following policies provide additional guidance on particular requirements of the Quality Standards:
- Performance Reporting Requirements
- Pay-as-you-go (PAYG) Policy
- IP Test Methods for PV Modules
- Integrated Water Protection Assessment
- Outdoor Cable Policy
Reference the Standards
Buyers, governments, and institutions that need to ensure product quality and performance can use our Quality Standards to protect buyers and consumers and effectively regulate the marketplace. Harmonizing requirements with Lighting Global means leveraging the most up-to-date, globally relevant Quality Standards and ensures continued insights from the marketplace will protect buyers and consumers.
Check out our resources for bulk purchasers, such as NGOs and distributors, to appropriately reference and adapt the Quality Standards for their purposes. Contact Lighting Global for more information on implementing a standards framework for your organization.